US President Donald Trump and Vice President JD Vance Photograph: (Reuters) Story highlights

Trump takes U-turn on running for presidency in 2028, backs JD Vance, Rubio: Here’s what he said

United States President Donald Trump, during a press briefing on Tuesday (Aug 6), was asked who would succeed him in the Presidential Elections of 2028. The US president said that his incumbent Vice President JD Vance would ‘most likely’ be the heir-apparent. However, Trump added that it was too early to decide on his successor as of now. Trump has completed approximately seven months in the presidency after coming back to power for the second time in January this year. He had earlier made headlines after expressing his desire to run for the presidency once again in 2028.

Trump’s response came after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that Vance would be ‘great nominee’ if he decides to contest. Trump said, “I think most likely — in all fairness, he’s the vice president…I think Marco is also somebody w0o maybe would get together with JD in some form.”

Trump’s desire to run for the presidency

US President Donald Trump has kept the ambiguity over his intention to run for the US presidency once again in 2028. Speaking at CNBC’s TV show Squawk Box, Trump said that he would “probably not” seek a third term, but added, “I’d like to run…I have the best poll numbers I’ve ever had.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *